Birthdays in April:
Welcome New Members and Guests:
Ellen and Val
We hope to have them join us again soon!
June Meeting Date Change (Teresa)
Heads up that our June meeting date has been pushed back one week, from June 8 to June 15. Hope to see you there!
Treasurer’s Report (Sue)
Sue reported on both the Guild and the Beach Retreat balances:
Nominating Committee (Joyce)
Teresa introduced the nominating committee: Cindy Barrick, Kelli Bold, Joyce Cook, Sue Munson, and Marcia Smith. Joyce is the Chair of the committee. She reported that the committee is looking for members interested in becoming President or Secretary. Su Fennern will be stepping down as President at the end of this year, and we are currently without a full Secretary, although Cindy has been keeping our website up-to-date and will continue to do so. Three people came forward for consideration as Secretary during the meeting. If you are interested in knowing more about being on the Board, you can view our bylaws and roles on the Salem Millstream Knitting Guild website. Contact any of the committee members to put your name forward for consideration.
Beach Retreat (Teresa and members of the current Beach Retreat Committee)
The retreat is coming up on May 16-19. We have two spots open. We need a retreat committee for next year to be in place before this year’s retreat. We have a few interested people already, but we need more. This event has been going on for eight years, and lots of people look forward to it every year. Please consider being a part of making it happen.
We were pleased to finally have Stephania Fregosia with Three Fates Yarns after having to reschedule her three times for various reasons! She shared about her effort to learn more about and beginning to use sustainable methods to gather wool and turn it into yarn. She also shared about her dying processes and a kickstarter she recently ran using locally sourced Gotland wool to obtain yarn to dye. She showed a sample of the yarn knit into a Visby hat by local designer, Marie Green of Olive Knits. We enjoyed shopping from her substantial inventory.
Free Patterns for March/April:
Mary found us two patterns this month and brought in her own beautiful versions.
Show and Tell:
Projects shared included:
- Easter basket toys and egg cozies – Eggkins pattern by Chris de Longpre available on Ravelry. Note that Patty added wings to the chick and duckling by adapting the bunny ear pattern. She also added a tail to the bunny and the sheep. The crochet egg cozy pattern is from Craftaholics Anonymous.
- Fair Isle Mitts w/lace weight yarn
- Groovy shawl (not sure this is the pattern shared) and a matching hat
- Shawl made by Clara (maybe Beautiful Solitude)
- Cowl/capelet from Creative Knitting, February 2017
- Pekhom shawl
- Lux Cowl from Galzone Knits made with three skeins of Hulahut yarn
- Mitts, using a Churchmouse pattern
- Cheyenne shawl from a library book, Cozy Stash Busting Knits
- Several scarves and hats and numerous baby hats for charity
Our next meeting is scheduled for May 11. Our speaker will be Theressa Silver, author of Wild Knits.
Snacks: Jenny Morton and Pam Dixon
Set-up crew (arrive by 9:15): Marcia Smith and Teresa Furnish
Clean-up crew (stay until finished): Marcia Smith and Karen Lemmon
Hope to see you there!
NEXT MEETING IS MAY 11
TERRACE LAKE COMMUNITY CENTER
2120 ROBINS LANE
AT 10 AM