Birthdays in June:
(We’ll wish Janet Bubl a Happy Birthday in October!)
Welcome New Members and Guests:
Lynda (not a resident of Terrace Lake)
We hope to have her join us again soon!
Liz Lisowski of HighFiberArtz was not able to attend, but Su Fennern presented a program on knitting needles. She found a Free Guide to Knitting Needles from Interweave available for free, and she compiled some Facts About Knitting Needles. Items covered included cleaning of needles, materials needles are made out of, different types of needles, different needle points, what yarns to use with which needles, and more handy tips.
The Treasurer’s Report will be presented by Sue at the July meeting.
2019 Beach Retreat (Su)
We had a great time! There were a total of 28 attendees, but due to a medical issue one did not attend. There was $1,468.55 received in donations from vendors that were used for door prizes and items for the individual swag bags.
2020 Beach Retreat (Kelli)
We will have a great time! The Retreat Committee members for 2020 are Kelli Bold, Ginny Floyd, Kathy Howald, Karen Lemon, Sandy McCause, Katie, McDougall, and Jean Weber. We currently have received deposits from 30 potential attendees. A waiting list will be established, so if you’re interested in attending, please contact Kelli Bold.
Nominating Committee (Joyce)
There are three members interested in the Secretary position: Joyce Cook, Ginny Floyd, and Debbie Juul. We will vote for one Secretary in December. The Committee is still working on nominations for the President position.
Discussion on the future of the Guild – To continue with the established Guild, the Oregon Secretary of State and the Oregon Department of Justice requirement is for at least three board members/officers. A discussion was held among members about the positions, and Kathy Goebel volunteered to run the meetings if someone else wants to do all the other presidential duties except that. If interested, please contact Joyce Cook for additional information.
Charitable Donations (Su for Kathy)
A total of 146 items have been donated between January 1 and May 31, 2019: Hats (142) – 76 to Africa, 3 to Shaken Baby, 63 to Father Taffe; 2 scarves to Father Taffe, 1 cowl to Father Taffe, and 1 afghan/blanket to Father Taffe.
Patterns for May/June
Mary has found some nice summer tops: Happy Go Yellow and Cascata.
Show and Tell:
Projects shared included:
- Clara shared her three recently finished shawl projects: Romi Hill’s MKAL; Clara’s Rainbow Wrap; and Transient by Michelle Hunter.
- Mary finished a Camomille Shawl by London Loop.
- Kathy Goebel used one of the One Skein Wonder books and finished a Cowl, Ella’s hat and a 4×4 seed stitch scarf.
Knitting Tip: Don’t give a knitted gift item that needs to be re-blocked after cleaning.
- Cindy is working on the Copilot cowl and didn’t know if her cast on was twisted or not until she completed several inches. (It’s not twisted!)
Knitting Tip: When knitting an item such as a hat, cast on and knit the first row flat, and then join in the round. Close up the opening using the cast on tail.
- Karen is working on a baby hat using her new short needles made special for hats, cuffs, etc.
- Lynda (a visitor at today’s meeting) shared a recently completed dinosaur hat by Maria’s Blue Crayon.
- Marcia shared her recent experience working with magic loop and making yoga socks two at a time. She ended up making the heels one at a time.
- Teresa has a new small project knitting bag. She finished her Branching Lace Cardigan – and unknitted it all, with the yarn waiting to tell her what it wants to be.
- Ginny shared her pair of Checker Board Square slippers that she finished. Clara was the lucky recipient of the slippers. Ginny has offered to teach these slippers at an upcoming Guild meeting. There are some more free patterns on Ravelry:
Pantoufles à carreaux avec tutoriel
- Joyce shared her Kindness knitalong Shawl.
- Debbie shared that she used one of Ginny’s techniques that she learned at the Beach Retreat to make a baby blanket and gave it away as a gift. She shared her poncho with a turtle neck that she finished.
- Su shared the Split Decision summer tee she tested knitted for KisDesigns – Kelly Forester.
Our next meeting is scheduled for July 13. It’s a potluck, so bring some food to share, and we will mostly knit and eat.
Set-up crew (arrive by 9:15): Cindy Barrick
Clean-up crew (stay until finished): Teresa Furnish
Hope to see you there!
NEXT MEETING IS JULY 13
TERRACE LAKE COMMUNITY CENTER
2120 ROBINS LANE
AT 10 AM